Monday, November 8, 2010

Essay for the space in "Vindictus" MMORPG game


 Basic Info:

"Vindictus" (In Korea called "Mabinogi Heroes") created by devCAT, an internal studio of Korean free-to-play game publisher Nexon. It is hack away at monsters, smash almost anything in the environment and destroy your enemies with finishing blows. I would agree with the idea of massively.com idea that it is joyfully violent.



Why I chose this game:

I tried loads of different mmorpgs in my life and this genre of the games is probably closest to me. I could actually see with my own eyes the evolution of such games: In the fifth grade my friends admired massive flash game "runescape", later "mu online" was a real sensation because of it's interactivity, but still poor graphics, later I've noticed "lineage2" and "wow". "Lineage" could have been one of the possibilities for my essay, because I actually was interested in the story behind and stunning graphics at that time, but with very without shiny armors and weapons there was nothing actually interactive and later I've seen many similar mmo games (for example now we have "Requiem" - Its hard to explain how beautiful towns and landscapes it have, but no actual action). I never even was interested in " world of warcraft", I admit that huge world and wide possibilities seems to be quite interesting, but the style of the game it self is not elegant and the storyline has loads of bizarres, I would like to see a game as a peace of art, not just like loads of primitive posibilities. If "Blizzard" would have stickied to the successful idea of "Diablo" and adapted it to mmorpg genre it would have been just amazing, but (there is always but) still as we know, "wow" has a major success and in the aspect of making business they haven't made a mistake. Later everything seemed to be stopped for a while with huge amount of similar Korean or any other Asian country's games. Something new was seen in the game called "Gunz" It is not exactly role playing game, but I've noticed a new step in terms of interactivity between online games and uch... I just can't remember now the name of the first real mmorpg with similar engine. "Silkroad" was quite different - the storyline was perfect, the atmosphere was different from others and thief - hunters - traders game there was really worth to try, but eventually, it is just a slow press end wait game (you can't jump unless it is a part of the skill action, everything is just shiny and the game itself is just based on mathematical calculation for the best stats which makes it not so much dependable from the skills of playing that you have, but how long  have you been grinding in it(in other words - another waste of time)). New upcoming games like "Blade and soul" seems to be very impressive and probably is going to fix most of the minuses that I have mentioned, but I feel that Vindictus (which has also just been released in North America) Is going to be even more popular, because it is samelly interactive, good storyline, samelly great graphicks and most importantly it is free to play. In terms of fighting this games sometimes reminds me "Prince of Persia warrior within" and that is a good compliment for a multi-player game.



I have to say that I feel weakness for medieval fantasy games with some Gothic or Celtic barbarian details in it. I can still see some minuses in this game like the thing that the world is separated in rooms, but this is probably just because of the possibilities of now-days technology and I have to say that I am looking forward for more perfected games in this genre. The goal of games like that is a true active satisfaction with friends while playing, but if somebody could do something like that it would become addictive like alcohol or cigarettes (great plan of business that "Blizzard" managed to create for some of the people), but that's already another theme.

 

The Space:

The story helps to imagine the space and helps to understand what and why is happening:

Erinn, The Land of Paradise

In this world, there is but one moon, and it shines upon a wasteland where Fomors and beasts roam, hungry to tear flesh from bone. Not so in Erinn. In Erinn, there will be two moons, Eweca and Lateka, and they will shine with the brightness of the gods. There, no one will age or fall ill, and the land will be rich with bountiful resources.
It is the dream of Erinn, the paradise promised in the Legend, which fuels humanity in these dark times. The people wait, as they have for countless generations, for the black-winged goddess to come and save them.
They wait. Because the Legend is truth. It must be, for it is all they have.

It is funny that I found some similarities with my unit text about Kor (winged goddess of truth), but actually I couldn't find anything else related between them. This world seems to be separated in two realms: safe zone and  battle field.. It also explains the reason why the game is separated to rooms, but it is a bad solution anyway. Like most of the other games it contains the feeling of survival. You have always brutally protect something meaningful for you and in this case it is the safe zone. In my essay I will try explain the more clearly the style of buildings and mapping reasons for various in-game solutions.

Example of game-play:



No comments:

Post a Comment