This time I experimented more with lighting, rendering and post editing techniques. I randomly added some moss and rock textures in between bumps to make it look more organic. In order to make our environment even more photographic I added just a little bit of chromatic aberration and grain to the finished render. Imitating camera flaws might bring some more life to our animation.
Combined layers with color correction, chromatic aberration and grain:
Even though our project is already handed in there is still a lot to do to finish it. We had to fix a lot of issues and bring everything back to maya. New environment actually starts looking pretty good now.
This time I tried hard to make our Harpy as grotesque as possible. I made the head more beak-like, but at the same time since I didn't wanted to keep it in a very generic shape added some abstract shapes. Similar patterns are repeating throughout the whole body to keep it consistant. If this concept works I still have some ideas where I could push it further.
This concept was inspired by Gustav Klimt's paintings. I tried to combine Sam's sketches with something more stylised. Just like in Klimt's paintings I've been thinking to leave completely flat textures in some areas. It would help to integrate our charackters into highly stylised environment. This work still feels a bit unfinished, but it should be enough to explain what I have in my head.
At this point some paintings are starting to look more like a forest. I'm not too concerned about detail until I'll be done with the compositions of each painting. First and second thumbnails seems to be finished compared to the others and they are ready to go to the next stage.
After last conversation with Phil we decided to make as many rough thumbnails as possible to help us out. In these thumbnails I started throwing random ideas that could visualise the forest from the 13th Canto. It is a mix of my own painting and random pictures from the internet. This should help us to decided on color scheme and will create further designs as happy accidents, because there is a minimal amount of description of what we want to show. Later on I will try to push these forward and see how it works.
During the last days I've been working on "Bestia Studios" Blog template, logo and indent. I tried to make it very illustrative and graphic since we are still trying to discover our style completely based on early Renaissance art.
I sketched out everything in my sketchbook with pencil and red ink just to keep it more natural, because work made from scratch in photoshop eventually becomes too clean at least for me.
In order to keep our indent as natural as our logo I decided to do it in a classical way, by drawing every frame on paper over light box with ink and pencils too.
During my Major Project I will be collaborating with my friend Sam. Our idea is to create interactive e-book chapter from Dante Alighieri's "Divine Comedy" "Inferno" part. Currently we are still developing our idea and doing research. While listening to Dante's Audio book version I've been doing some sketching, I've drawn a very generic Dante's concept and it serves only warming up purpose since there is a lot of authenticity and meaning in every scene that we might take on and a lot more research is needed to start the actual sketching. We will create a new branded blog for this project as soon as we can.
Here is a frame from Digital Molecular Matter plug-in test combined with audio vawe in the object's toughnes which makes it shatter from the sound waves. This takes a while to simulate, but looks promising.
During the summer I really didn't knew what exactly I wanted to do, but I tried to film something and see what happens. With the help of my friends I did this shoot in the end of this summer just before September. I was very disappointed by the results that I was getting, because I couldn't make it meaningful. On the other hand this footage still has some different value and as I was cleaning up my computer I discovered them again and decided to put the best shots together just for the memory.
In this test you can see over 2100000 particles and over 1000000 polygons. I still don't like the colors in this shot, the blur in the end doesn't look nice at all and I will also try to fill the bottom with something, so that it wouldn't look too fake. It is hard to make this shot a bit more believable even though the interior of Slip in opens up with all beauty, because colors in the original version were not natural, a bit too dark and pops out a bit too much from other shots.
Today as I was working as an Intern in Santas secret base I accidentally pulled the wrong lever and terrible things happened... This is definitely not a speed paint, because I just wanted to push it further after making quick initial sketch. I decided to make this painting while I am simulating or rendering some of my tests. I will continue when I will get another long render started.
This is the second test of my liquid simulations. I generated random splashes with invisible objects. I will use this mesh as a base of deformations responding to the sound. This is my first high resolution simulation and in the end it might have around two million particles. I tried to reach more yesterday, but my computer crashed when it reached just a bit over three million. The reason of crashing was that I ran out of Ram memory, but it looks great anyway as it is right now.