Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Elephant Man Rewiev


 Some info from wikipedia:
The Elephant Man is a 1980 American drama film based on the true story of Joseph Merrick (called John Merrick in the film), a severely deformed man in 19th century London. The film was directed by David Lynch and stars John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Michael Elphick, Hannah Gordon, and Freddie Jones.
The screenplay was adapted by Lynch, Christopher De Vore, and Eric Bergren from the books The Elephant Man and Other Reminiscences (1923) by Sir Frederick Treves and The Elephant Man: A Study in Human Dignity by Ashley Montagu. It was shot in black-and-white.
The Elephant Man was recognized as a critical and commercial success, and received eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture in 1981.


 My opinion:

It was a tearful story, but at first It was even a bit funny to see Anthony Hopkins still young since I've only seen his last movies starting from "Hannibal"(2001)..


As I've noticed in one of the comments in "rotten tomatoes" film review page you must have a hearth of stone if you're not touched by it. I could hear some sniffing arround all the time in the theatre and it was definitely not just the sound of the movie. It was a real story and it wasn't any kind of magical or sci-fi metamorphosis as we've seen in all of the other movies of this unit.


The movie was started with not convincing elephant scene. Don't know why, but I hate such dreamy abstractions. The reason for that might just because you can't actually understand whats happening if you are not familiar with the story itself..

Although this movie had a lot of obvios symbolism with bars. One of those was in a scene when Merrick was chased by a bunch of people to a dead end with bars in a public toilet. At that moment he really seemed to be like a hunted animal, but at that moment he just shouted out: "I'm not an animal- I'm a human being" and that was touching.

The film have also had obvious evil and good charackters. Evil charackters were very effective. I truly hated the guard and that circus owner and that is a good thing. You could also feel different reactions and actions of inteligent aristocrat and lower society peoples. Between aristorcratic people he was recognited as a suffering man and for others - he was just an animal who should be kept in zoo, interesting to see thing...

I had to talk more in this review more about human to animal metamorphosis, but I can tell that here was non of it. I have seen nothing else exept a story of a poor man. The metamorphosy was parallelical if I can say so, because he was called so just because of his looks. Strange myths that dont egsist made his life (which could have already been hard enaugh) into a nightmare.

All in all I loved tihis movie, I would rate it for about 9/10 points if I could.



No comments:

Post a Comment